Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Camping We Will Go....



It was a long weekend for Labor Day, so Aaron and I decided to go a camp'n on Saturday night. We packed up the tent, our sleeping bags, the gas griller, and headed south to the Catlains. We decided to go to Purakaunui Bay - a beautiful campground sitting on the edge of the beach. 

Aaron and I were looking forward to our night away from town, away from cellphone coverage and time walking around the beach and playing cards. 

We get to Purakaunui Bay and the camp ground is packed. Not like us American's would say packed, but as an island of only 1 million people would say packed. There were probably 20 tents.

We set up our tent, cooked some dinner and decided to walk along the beach. About 100 yards away from our tent was a big group of surfer dudes hanging out by a big bonfire. Of COURSE Aaron ended up knowing them.  Aaron stopped by and to say Hi and I went back to the tent and read for a bit. Aaron comes back in half an hour and tells me that we are invited to go over there.  I knew right then that my romantic weekend away where my boyfriend has nothing else to do but to spend time with me was never going to happen. Ha!

We headed for the bonfire with our nice Amisfield Pinot and hung around for a couple of hours, but snuck away early around 10:30.  

The next morning we woke up fresh, made egg sandwiches and packed up the tent and headed back to Dunedin. 

I think I just might be a camping girl... but damn it, I want to play cards and hang out with JUST my boyfriend next time!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment